Friday, March 30, 2012

Inserted Rows

Does anyone have any SP or script that can help me easily
determine the activity within my tables? Specifically, I
am looking for any kind of SPs, scripts, or tools that
can help me easily determine how heavily hit my various
tables are. For example is table A with 1,000,000 rows
in it not the heavily used while table B with 5,000 rows
in it is constantly being inserted to, deleted from, and
updated. I am trying to track down my heavy hitter
tables to do some P&T on them or move them to their own
files, etc.Z,
You can use SQL Profiler to track activity against a database. One data
column it can report is the ObjectName being referenced. Examine the
discussion in the BOL on SQL Profiler and SQL Trace.
Ideally, you would run the trace and spool its results to a file. Afterward
you can load the file into a table and do some queries to aggregate the
activity you are experiencing.
Running a trace will take some CPU from your server, but if you are
judicious in the events and data columns it should not be oppressive to the
server unless you are running at very high CPU levels already.
Russell Fields
http://www.sqlpass.org/
2004 PASS Community Summit - Orlando
- The largest user-event dedicated to SQL Server!
"Z" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:07a601c3af8f$d7d328f0$a001280a@.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone have any SP or script that can help me easily
> determine the activity within my tables? Specifically, I
> am looking for any kind of SPs, scripts, or tools that
> can help me easily determine how heavily hit my various
> tables are. For example is table A with 1,000,000 rows
> in it not the heavily used while table B with 5,000 rows
> in it is constantly being inserted to, deleted from, and
> updated. I am trying to track down my heavy hitter
> tables to do some P&T on them or move them to their own
> files, etc.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment